Friday, May 12, 2017

Summer Maintenance Blog
Week One by Nicole M.

Our week began with some training going over our employee manuals, touching on the requirements of our positions. We then were refreshed and re-trained on circle checks on the RTV and the tractor.
Day two was very fun and exciting. We started our day by transplanting plugs of Portulaca and taking root cuttings of Candy Corn plant (Manettia luteorubra). During this process we learned how to use tools such as the plug popper which pushes the plugs out of the plug trays without damaging them to transplant them in to a larger container. We also took herbaceous cuttings and placed them in our misting chamber which provides the cuttings a gentle mist without over watering and keeps them at a temperature that stimulates the plants’ root growth. This is something I really enjoyed doing as it is not only fun but educational too. It helped us learn and memorize the names of the plants we are working with and the tools we used.




Day three we were split into two groups, half remained in the greenhouse and the rest went to compound area to do RTV, tractor and trailer training. I was one of the few that remained in the greenhouse in the morning. We worked on transplanting cuttings that were previously taken from students during the school year. We had cleared a whole shelf and put them into bigger pots with fresh soil. This time transplanting, we also learned how to use the label maker and printer. I found this part very interesting as I had never used this type of software before and it ended up being very simple and straight forward. Before our lunch break we took a walk around the campus and were each assigned a garden area or building. During our walk we were told which tasks needed to be completed over the summer in our individualized gardens. After lunch the greenhouse group was taken to the compound to complete the RTV, tractor and trailer training. There was a series of obstacle courses we had to complete with both vehicles. We learned how to drive forwards and in reverse with a trailer attached to the vehicle. I found the RTV more challenging than meets the eye!





Day four we began work. All of us were very excited to get outside and do what we love. With our luck it ended up being very warm outside, so we began with weeding the Fanshawe College Boulevard entrance. There were a lot of weeds to be taken care of here as well as clearing all of the brush from the ground. After lunch we learned how to use the power shears and leaf blower. We completed circle checks and began cutting down the long grasses from the entrance to make room for new growth. During this we found a duck with its nest and learned how to handle this type of situation. Once the work day came to an end we then learned how to clean, take inventory of and store all of the tools that were used that day. We finished of our day by walking the interior plantscape route. We were shown which plants we were responsible for maintaining and watering each week as well as how to use the Aquamate, which is a large watering device.







Day five our morning started continuing our outdoor work in the gardens. This time we were shown how to properly edge a garden and the right tools that are used to complete this process. I loved doing this as I was earlier taught a different way of edging the garden and this method was a much cleaner and visually pleasing image. Just before lunch I was responsible for maintaining the interiorscapes with the Aquamate. After lunch I spent the afternoon in the greenhouse taking cuttings and learning the duties for my weekend shift. We went over watering techniques and fertilizing requirements for the crop. I also learned how to use the Priva monitoring system and about greenhouse maintenance.





                              

Sunday shift today has been a very busy day as there was so much to be done! I started my day off by completing a circle check of the greenhouse facility and making sure everything is up to par. I then began watering the crops with the appropriate cultural requirements. I really enjoyed this task. The crop was very dry in the morning so I did realize the importance of watering the crops regularly. While I was doing this I also watered the plants that are newly added to the storage area outdoors. Each plant was watered for 10 minutes with a slow drip. Once the watering was completed I then began spreading Osmocote 15-9-12 slow-release fertilizer into the 4” pots and followed with pinching the white petunias to produce more lateral growth. After lunch I started maintaining the interior plants inside the campus until I was out of water. Once I returned to the greenhouse I began cleaning up by sweeping all of the floors, cleaning pots, cleaning under the rolling tables in the green house as well as inside the drains. I enjoyed my shift in the greenhouse, it was a great learning experience and I feel I will be ready for my next greenhouse shift! 




No comments:

Post a Comment